SC - vegemite

Lilinah biti-Anat lilinah at grin.net
Fri Dec 3 16:21:14 PST 1999

Brandu wrote:
>If you don't like Vegemite, you are probably putting it on too thickly...

I got a jar of the stuff several years ago. I hope the stuff keeps
well because it's still on my self...

It makes me think of my early vegetarian days in 1968. I spent some
time living with some beatnik poet Macrobiotics in the Haight in a
Victorian facing the Panhandle of Golden Gate Park. Off to the Zendo
every morning at 5 AM. After reading up a lot on nutrition, i decided
it wasn't the best way to be a vegetarian (after all, oranges and
chocolate were forbidden :-), but i retained some Mactrobiotic habits.

One was eating rice cakes, back when there was only a choice between
rice cakes and rice cakes with sesame seeds (none of those flavored
cakes, ugh), spread with tahini and miso. Vegemite kinda reminds me
of miso spread, but i think i like miso better.

BTW, miso is Japanese, a thick paste made of fermented soy beans,
sometimes with the addition of rice (lighter and sweeter) or barley
(heavier and darker).

So, how *do* people eat their vegemite? I mean, yes, i just visited
the rather spiffy vegemite web site and they had recipes, but, well,
you guys are *real* people... How do *you* eat the stuff?

Anahita Gauri bint-Karim al-hakim al-Fassi
Curiouser and curiouser