SC - medieval graters?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Dec 7 23:50:41 PST 1999

Anahita Gauri bint-Karim al-hakim al-Fassi said:
> (meant to be humorous)
> Once upon a time, and it wasn't very long ago, there were no food
> processors. People actually had to grate, chop, and grind their food
> stuffs themselves. And you can be sure that the only food processors
> in Medieval times were humans armed with knives, graters, and mortars
> and pestles.
> (end of semi-humor)

Well, I know that this was meant to be humourous, but it brings a
question to mind (yes, yes, this is Stefan, remember). I think we have
plenty of proof of period knives and mortars. Do we really have proof
of graters being used in period? They would be easy to make, but so are
sandwiches. So any proof folks? What did they look like? Single plates
of metal with holes punched in them?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net