SC - Cranberries

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 8 17:36:29 PST 1999

>I know it isn't Medieval, but i love cranberry sauce in just about any
>form.

Has anyone had the opportunity to investigate lingonberries?  There
are 2 native European species Vaccinium oxycoccus and Vaccinium
vitus idaea.  The American species is Vaccinium macrocarpon.  The only
substantial difference in the oxycoccus and macrocarpon is the size of
the berry.  Both European species are native to Britain and the northern
part of continental Europe.  Perhaps the berry has shown up in period
use by its alternate name, the red whortleberry.  I know of several
Scandinavian jellies and jams using lingonberry.  I get the impression
that they have been used for centuries from various sources.  Does a
anyone know of any documentation on lingonberries in period?

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"