SC - lebkuchen

Thu Dec 9 09:03:54 PST 1999

> > Homemade lebkuchen (modern) tends to be a flat spice cake cut into bars.
> >  Period lebkuchen is much like period gingerbread, made from honey and a
> >  breadcrumb or flour binder.
> >
> >  Bear
>
> The recipe I found calls for shaping the dough and baking it on the paper.
>
> The recipe doesn't call for candied fruit, and now that you mention it, it
> is
> like a gingerbread recipe. I got it from Oma, our  landlady's mother in
> Germany. I just have never tried to make it before. I guess I could just
> bake
> it on a greased cookie sheet. Should I use parchment paper maybe and peel
> it
> off when the cookies are cool?
>
> Peldyn

For modern lebkuchen, I use a greased baking pan and it works fine, but I'm
not usually worried about perfect lebkuchen, as I use the cut and spatula
method of extraction.  If you want to remove any cake whole from the pan,
baker's parchment of wax paper is a good idea.

In the case of period lebkuchen, I would definite use paper, because of the
stickiness of the ingredients.

Bear