SC - Malted Milk

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 13 04:39:17 PST 1999

The most easily found source for Dried Malt Extract (DME) is going to be
. . . your local home brew store.  It may cost a little more than a
health food or whole foods store, but you get lots of varieties. as for
the local soda jerk adding malt, he most likely added liquid malt
extract that had been somewhat diluted from its rather molassesy state.
My experiments in making malted milkshakes at home indicate that the dry
tends to clump up BADLY (like little BB's) when added to a cold liquid.
the syrup form will mix more readily into the milkshake (also found in
great varieties in the brew shops).

Diastatic malt (referred to by Gunter. . . the stuff high in diastase)
is growing in popularity in home brewing industry for mashing malted
grains lacking in diastase like malted oats or rye.  Also gets kicking
on some barley malts that have been extremely heated in processing,
which tends to destroy the diastase.

niccolo difrancesco