SC - Malted Milk

Jenn/Yana jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
Mon Dec 13 13:14:39 PST 1999

>as for
>the local soda jerk adding malt, he most likely added liquid malt
>extract that had been somewhat diluted from its rather molassesy state.
>My experiments in making malted milkshakes at home indicate that the dry
>tends to clump up BADLY (like little BB's) when added to a cold liquid.
>the syrup form will mix more readily into the milkshake (also found in
>great varieties in the brew shops).
>niccolo difrancesco

Speaking as a one-time soda-jerk (I worked at a 50's-style theme
restaurant), I used *powdered* malt to make my (really tasty) malts.  If I
remember correctly, it was Carnation brand, from a large bulk-bag.  I just
spooned it in on top of the ice cream and milk.  Of course, the blending
would have been helped by the fact I used industrial upright imersion-type
blenders, but when I made malts at home using a regular ol' blender, the
powdered-malt-in-a-jar worked just fine, no lumps.  Anyone for a vanilla coke?

- --Yana (not doing Russian food for once)