SC - kvas

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Dec 13 22:29:42 PST 1999

This is the first time I've seen fruit mentioned at all in making kvas. I have
accounts of it being made with either bread or grains but not fruit. I would
also think a number of these fruits would be scarce in Russia, at least in
period. Also in period Russia, I might expect honey rather than sugar as a
sweetener. So since this given as from an early 20th century cookbook I don't
think this goes back to our period, perhaps unfortunately.

Anyway, for what I do have on kvas see this file in the BEVERAGES section of
my files:
kvass-msg         (57K) 10/ 8/99    Russian drink made from bread or grains.

But like the description below, kvas from grains doesn't seem to get very
alcoholic.

Stefan

> I haven't found any solid period references, but a similar process is used
> to make kvas in Russia.  Kvas is a beverage rather than something you would
> eat with a spoon.  Curiously, the Russian <kompot> is a beverage made from
> soaked and mashed fruits.  "Moscow kvas" may be similar to what is known as
> <mors> in the "Domostroi" (16th cen Russian household book).  This recipe
> is translated by Liudmila from the Slavic Interest Group and is from a
> Russian cookbook, early 20th century.  It doesn't end up very alcoholic at all.
>
> **************************************
> Moskow kvas can be made out of pretty much any fruits and berries, such as
> apples, raspberries, red currants, cherries, mountain ash berries (riabina),
> strawberies, or pears.  Strawberries and raspberries require small wooden
> barrels and a somewhat complicated procedure -- ask me later if you want.
> The rest can be made in large glass jars. Fill out your jar completely with
> fruit or berries (uncut, I think) and add cold boiled water to fill.  Place
> the jar in a cold place and wait about three days, when you can drink it with
> sugar added right in the glass if you want.  Apple and red currant kvas are
> good with lemon rind in the jar.  Note that one jar lends lots of kvas sinse
> you are supposed to refill it with cold boiled water as long as there is
> flavor left.  It is essential that the berries and the fruit be absolutely
> unblemished since any damage may result in fermentation.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net