SC - Feast Stories from 11th Night Investiture (LONG)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Dec 14 10:02:24 PST 1999

Bonne of Traquair wrote:

> At least some  of the "something with sops" recipes give instructions to put
> sauce over the sop, and let it sop it up, and then repeat and repeat until
> some just right, yummy, texture is reached.  The little experimentation I've
> done indicates that if you use a bread with a strong crumb (not store sponge
> bread!) and it should be fairly dry at least, better if toasted.  The
> consistency I stop at is much like bread pudding or dressing/stuffing.
> Bready and moist but not drippy.

Sounds about right. I forget where I recently saw detailed instructions
for this; one of the seventeenth-century sources, either Digby or
Markham, I forget which, but it reminded me of some of the early coffee
recipes: if not done right there's not much point, if you know what I mean.

I think the adjective we need for sops is "fluffy"...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com