SC - Re: Egg Sizes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Dec 14 14:42:27 PST 1999

cclark at vicon.net wrote:

> Alys Katharine wrote:
> > ... Martha's hands are not too far away and the egg looks like it would
> >comfortably fit in her fist, about the same size as in the previous still
> >life.  Again, it looks more like a "large".
>
> But what size were the people? While many modern Americans are L, XL, XXL,
> etc., period people tended to be S & M. Or something like that. ;->
>
> Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon

Actually, while certain artifacts survive which suggest some people were
quite small by modern adult standards, there's almost as much evidence
to suggest this size differential wasn't universal.

For example, we know Edward the First of England, called Longshanks, was
well over six feet tall, but there's little to suggest he was considered
really abnormally tall. He was just regarded as a big guy. As a result
it might be hard to judge scale in paintings.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com