SC - redacting

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Dec 14 23:03:01 PST 1999

"Laura C. Minnick" wrote:

> Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
>
> > Yes, it's a method for separating the skin from the meat for Peking Duck
> > (for which nowadays a bicycle pump is a common tool), but also common in
> > medieval roast chicken recipes. I believe the confusion lies in the fact
> > that the unknown author was probably referring to some kind of reed pen,
> > and they couldn't get away from the idea of a big feather/quill pen.
>
> Actually, that's what I assumed when reading it too- all I could picture
> was 'Ba' in "Eat Drink Man Woman" (a delightful little movie with TRES
> COOL cooking scenes) blowing up a chicken during his Sunday dinner prep,
> then spooning hot fat from the pot over the loosened skin... that movie
> always makes me so hungry...

It also contains a shot of the Other Great Medieval Poultry preparation
technique, the scalding to tighten the skin again and "plump" the bird.
And unlike so many movies which feature people cooking, it's obvious
that this actor knows intuitively what he's doing. His hands know, and
this is impossible to portray on screen without actually knowing what
you're doing. Think of all those scenes in American movies of people
holding chef's knives like basebal bats and slowly chunking away at a
carrot or something. Clunk. Clunk. Clunk.

Actually, another favorite of mine, along similar lines and involving
actors who actually can cook, is "Big Night".

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com