SC - Feast Stories from 11th Night Investiture (LONG)

Lurking Girl tori at panix.com
Wed Dec 15 13:52:36 PST 1999

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
> Bonne of Traquair wrote:
> >
> > At least some of the "something with sops" recipes give
> > instructions to put sauce over the sop, and let it sop it up, and
> > then repeat and repeat until some just right, yummy, texture is
> > reached.  The little experimentation I've done indicates that if
> > you use a bread with a strong crumb (not store sponge bread!) and
> > it should be fairly dry at least, better if toasted.  The
> > consistency I stop at is much like bread pudding or
> > dressing/stuffing.  Bready and moist but not drippy.

> Sounds about right. I forget where I recently saw detailed instructions
> for this; one of the seventeenth-century sources, either Digby or
> Markham, I forget which, but it reminded me of some of the early coffee
> recipes: if not done right there's not much point, if you know what I mean.

Is this the one?

Digby, CONCERNING POTAGES

...half an hour before dinner, take light bread well dryed from all
moisture before the fire; then cut in slices, laid in a dish over
coals, pour upon it a ladleful of broath, no more than the bread can
presently drink up; which when it hath done, put on a nother ladleful,
and stew that, till it be drunk up; repeat this three or four times, a
good quarter of an hour in all, till the bread is swelled like a gelly
(if it be too long, it will grow glewy and stick to the dish) and
strong of broth; then fill it up near full with the same strong broth.

Vika
mmm, glewy gelly