SC - redacting

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Dec 16 03:44:07 PST 1999

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> I have asked previously about period Chinese cooking,
> but only got one unsatisfactory response to my
> question, which came from Adamantius, saying something
> about his mother-in-law wondering why anyone would
> want to use old recipes.

Bear in mind, of course, that we need to explain to my mother-in-law
that my armor is for kung fu practice. She simply has no grasp of the
concept that subsistence-level farmers (i.e. everyone) would pursue
something like the SCA.

I've also done a bit of playing with the recipes in the 14th-century Ni
Tsan cookbook; we did an Asian feast last spring that featured several
recipes from this source. As I recall we served the wontons, a cold
noodle salad with shrimp instead of the flaked fish the recipe called
for, and one or two other things from Ni Tsan in addition to a bunch of
somewhat more modern stuff.

Unfortunately the source became available to me just a couple of weeks
before the event, so we had just a short time to shift our planned menu
to include some of the period recipes. I'd like a little more time to
experiment with the recipes we used before thinking in terms of a final
modernized adaptation.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy