SC - Late Fall/Early Winter Vegetables

cclark at vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Thu Dec 16 14:46:18 PST 1999

Anahita al-shazhiya wrote:
>thought i'd ask experienced feast planners what late fall/early
>winter vegetables you've served and people have actually eaten :-)

Not being so experienced as a feast planner, there's just one that I've
tried on live guinea p - feasters: pasternakes in potage, from the note in
the _Forme of Cury_ under rapes in potage. Carrots and parsnips simmered in
broth (I used brown beef broth), plus onions, and then a little sweet spice
(cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, mace, etc) just before serving. I don't know that
everyone loved it, but there wasn't much left over. I'd recommend adding the
parsnips when the carrots are partly cooked, otherwise they get mushy.

Henry of Maldon/Alex Clark