SC - Sweets to the sweet, have some fruitcake...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Dec 17 04:32:41 PST 1999

Nanna Rognvaldardottir wrote:

> I bake this one usually about 20th October and feed it with brandy or rum -
> weekly for the first month, then once or twice more. It keeps well for at
> least a year.

Okay, it'll be evident I'm in an unusually weird mood. Here's my question:

What's the longest time period anybody's ever kept a fruitcake or
similar product with reasonable expectations of edibility? Foods you
hate and consider inherently inedible don't count. Was the food
refrigerated, canned, etc.?

I think my world record (apart from the six-year-old jars of apparently
intact onion marmalade we discovered in packing to move, and the
non-intact cherry wheat beer from 1994) would be a Christmas/plum
pudding made for Christmas 1995 and finally finished, with no serious
diminution of quality, in 1998.

Any other takers for the Gold (or should I say Old) Medal?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com