SC - Need venison advice!

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Dec 17 20:57:38 PST 1999

Phlip mentioned:
>If you want to cook venison, remember it's a very lean meat, so you'll have
>to add extra fat- pork is the most common. Larding or barding help a lot
>with roasts- a ham hock or some fat back or bacon with soups and stews, and
>if you grind some up for burger, add some mayonaisse to your burgers or
>meatloaf- just add your normal ingredients, and the mayo to bring it up to
>the normal texture you'd want for beef burgers or loaves.

I considered mentioning this file when I mentioned my other files having to
do with venison, but figured it was well enough known or not germane enough
to this conversation on venison. Apparently those more expert in venison than
me feel otherwise, so... For more explicit details on larding dry cuts of
meat including venison, especially thicker cuts such as roasts, take a look
at this file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:
larding-msg       (12K)  6/16/99    Inserting fat into meat in period and today.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net