SC - period chicken feed

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Dec 18 16:30:45 PST 1999

Bonne had commented in reply to my comment about not thinking period chickens
would be feed a feed of grain:
> I have seen recipes for mixtures to feed chickens, but was under the
> impression that these were "last meals", or last week of meals meant to
> fatten the bird and/or to clean out any off flavor that may get into the
> meat from a foraging diet. Or, perhaps in hopes of fattening up that raggedy
> old hen into something worth cooking.

Thank you. Yes, I hadn't even thought of this possibilty and I think
it is likely to have happened yet be a special circumstance. It is definitely
something to keep in mind when researching this topic. Very similar to making
statements about what a particular people ate based on the archeological
information from stomach contents found in bog burials which were sometimes
done as executions or from folks such as the more ancient guy found frozen in
the Alps a few years ago. You can't assume these were their regular diets.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net