SC - Hi

Lilinah biti-Anat lilinah at grin.net
Sat Dec 18 20:04:43 PST 1999

>Panforte is 13th Century (IIRC).  Panatonne is probably late period.  There
>are some Elizabethean "cakes" with fruit worked into the dough.  So I would
>say that some types of fruitcakes are period, but the fruitcake you are
>referring to may not be.
>
>Bear

Wow! I just bought two panforte at the local Italian deli. I asked my
daughter, who's away at college, what food she'd like me to have in
the house (other than the stocks of dried, canned, and quick cooking
stuff i've set aside in case we actually feel the effects of Y2K)
when she arrives home on Jan. 2 (she's spending the first two weeks
of her vacations at her dad's) and panforte was one of the two things
she requested.

I had no idea they went back that far, although a sweet of dried
fruit/fruit cake seems like it could possibly be "period". No one has
yet sent a "period" recipe in my request for fruit cakes. Anyone know
where there's a historic recipe for panforte? Or is it just described
in literature?

Anahita al-shazhiya
licking her lips...
Hmmm, flaming salamander tastes pretty good...
or did you mean the fireplace utensil, Lord Ras?