SC - Sweets to the sweet, have some fruitcake...

James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain alasdair.maciain at snet.net
Sun Dec 19 08:01:51 PST 1999

At 23:26 13-12-1999 -0800, you wrote:
>OK, so it's long past the time to make one, but does anyone have a
>GOOD recipe for fruit cake that DOES NOT involve maraschino cherries?
>and uses more dried fruit than candied fruit? I don't mind some
>candied citron, but those neon red and green cherries make me shudder
>:-) And if it's soaked in some sort of spirits, why that's fine with
>me...

Thirty years ago, the Waukegan Public Library had a book titled *The Art of
Cooking with Spirits*.  In it was a recipe called "The Fruitcake of the
Twelve Spirits" - each type of fruit was soaked in a different type of
liquor, and the cake was then basted (as I recall, in alternate months)
with rum and brandy.  It sounded wonderful, but I never got a chance to
actually try it.  If you can find a copy of that....

Alasdair mac Iain
catching up again

Laird Alasdair mac Iain of Elderslie
Dun an Leomhain Bhig
Canton of Dragon's Aerie  [southeastern CT]
Barony Beyond the Mountain  [northern & southeastern CT]
East Kingdom
Argent, a chevron cotised azure surmounted by a sword and
in chief two mullets sable