SC - Needed--someone to replace the Known World Handbook recipe collection

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Dec 19 20:10:53 PST 1999

I was just looking at a copy of the Known World Handbook, and noted
that, at least as of the 1992 (I think) edition, it still had the
original article on doing a medieval feast. The article asserts that
it is giving medieval recipes, but the assertion is false--it is
pretty clear, reading them, that they are a mix of ethnic recipes and
things based (sometimes loosely--as when allspice is used in what
probably started out as funges) on period originals. Sources are not
given.

I suggest that one of the experienced people on this list, perhaps
Adamantius, should get in touch with whoever is currently in charge
of the Handbook and offer to replace that article with a more "up do
date" (i.e. correct) one.

I should add that the Handbook also has an article on working from
period recipes by Melisande de Belvoir which I assume (I haven't read
it recently, but know her) is good.
David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University