OT? hotel events was SC - FW:[STEPS] Period Food at 12th Night 2000!

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sun Dec 19 23:08:20 PST 1999

hey all from Anne-Marie
Zoe asks:
>I sure will do for you all. btw, is having events in hotels a common thing?
>Or is this mainly an AnTir thing?

in An Tir, anyway, we used to have 12th night at some place, and
traditionally with a feast. Problem was once the event started drawing a
thousand or so bodies, finding a site that could seat that many for court,
and meetings, much less a place to cook for that many.

about 6? years ago, I autocrated the first An Tir 12th night at a hotel. It
was a horrible depressing thing for me...a medieval event in a hotel! hmph!
it didnt help that my friends thought it horribly funny and ran around with
"12th night con" buttons! *sigh*... I had to deal with naked people in the
hottub (peers even) who were stressing out the salesmen on the second
floor, the neo goth wanna be teenages smoking in the lobby so no one
couldget by without running a gauntlet of smoke, the hotel restaurant who
didnt belive me when I said that we'd have 1200 and so only had food for a
couple hundred, the former kindom seneschal who ran up a bar tab in three
figures and then wandered away, causing the hotel manager to have kittens
and call me in a lather (he wandered back...never occured to him that
anyoen would mind...), the hotel trainee that double booked half the hotel
for Saturday night...(probably didnt help that I came home from 10 days in
Cozumel to do the event, either...)

but I digress :).

in any case, the model worked, People liked it becuase they could wander
into court and go back to their rooms and party into the night without
having to drive anywhere. I was told that the West has done it this way for
years. Personally, I hate it, its the most unmedieval setting you could
possibly have an event in, and people act goofy at hotels for some reason,
but it is awfully convenient, and I commend Adiantum for asking the hotel
to serve medieval style meals in an effort to put a bit of a medieval
patina on an otherwise very modern event!

(see, I knew I could fit in a food reference :))
- --AM, who's bringing the treats to the Laurel meeting and guess what! is
bringing period food :)