SC - Sweets to the sweet, have some fruitcake...

Lurking Girl tori at panix.com
Mon Dec 20 09:37:03 PST 1999

Bernadette Crumb wrote:
> Stefan li Rous wrote:
> >

> > Here, the tradition is to save it for the first wedding aniversery. From
> > personal experience, and other reports, I can say it is usually not very
> > good by then. Maybe the British have their first born much sooner or
> > they have stronger stomachs. :-)
>
> What sort of cake are the top layers of wedding cakes in your
> area made of?  Since the traditional British cake is a heavy,
> generally alcohol-infused, fruitcake, I'm not surprised it lasts
> for years.  But my wedding cake top was of a light "white" cake
> batter, of a similar texture to pound cake but not quite as
> heavy.

There ya have it--the custom arose back when it actually made sense.
In the US these days, it's kept alive by the wedding industry trying
to gouge every last penny out of dewy-eyed lovers who they think are
too wrapped up in Troo Wuv to notice.  If you don't serve the top
layer, you usually have to end up buying another larger one, for
another $20-$40.

I told the bakery that if we want a cake on our first anniversary,
we'll buy a FRESH one, thankyouverymuch.  To their credit, they were
cool with that and did not try to guilt-trip me, as some vendors do.
(As it happened, I was sick as a dog on our anniversary and didn't
want anything but soup.)

Vika
it was a marble cake, with real butter frosting.  Very tasty.