SC - bruette saake

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Dec 21 13:31:51 PST 1999

> >We did bruette saake for Friday night dinner last A&S, and we blew
> >everyone away with it.  It was delicious, and we also had
> documentation for everything we served Friday evening.
>
> Recipes please...  It's definitely soup weather and chicken soup is
> the best of all.
> Prydwen

Well, I can't find the write up I did for the event, but here is the
recipe, with I think Cariadoc's redaction afterwards.  Read the "+" as a
thorn, or a "th" sound.
	Christianna

Bruette Saake
Two Fifteenth Century p. 27
Take Capoun, skalde hem, draw hem, smyte hem to gobettys, Waysshe hem, do
hem in a potte; + enne caste owt + e
potte, waysshe hem a-gen on + e potte, and caste + er-to half wyne half
Bro+ e; take Percely, Isope, Waysshe hem,
and hew hem smal, and putte on + e potte + er + e Fleysshe is; caste +
er-to Clowys, quybibes, Maces, Datys y-tallyd,
hol Safroune; do it ouer + e fyre; take Canelle, Gyngere, tempere + in
powajes with wyne; caste in-to + e potte Salt
+ er-to, hele it, and whan it is y-now, serue it forth.

about 3 lbs frying chicken
2 c wine 2 c broth
4 T fresh parsley 1 1/2 T fresh hyssop
1/8 t cloves 1/4 t cubebs measured whole then ground
1/2 t mace
1/4 c = 3 oz dates
15 threads saffron 1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger
2 t more wine
1/2 t salt

Cut chicken into separate joints, add broth and wine and set to boil.
Chop herbs and grind cubebs in a mortar; add herbs,
dates, cloves, cubebs, and mace and cook about 35 minutes uncovered. Mix
cinnamon and ginger with remaining wine, add
them and salt to chicken, cover and let simmer another 30 minutes. Should
be served with bread (or rice, although that is less appropriate for
15th-century England) to sop up the sauce.

Notes: One could also interpret "smyting to gobbetys" as taking the meat
off the bones and cutting up; my gobbets are the size
of the thigh or half the breast. I assume the parsley and hyssop are
intended to be fresh since they are being washed. Fresh
hyssop tastes somewhat like parsley but rather more bitter and spicier,
and I would suggest, if you can't get it, substituting
more fresh parsley rather than dried hyssop, which is pretty tasteless.