SC - Rose Petal Turkish Delight (OOP?)

Lilinah biti-Anat lilinah at grin.net
Wed Dec 22 03:20:31 PST 1999

>Since I had the cook book out to post the rose petal cake I thought I would
>finally send the question that I had for you all.  I have a rose water
>turkish delight recipe that says in the very modern and OOP cook book that
>in Ancient Greece turkish delight was know as Loukoumi.   Anyone have any
>idea if this is true?  Anyone have documention for anything similar to
>Turkish Delight?
>
>This makes great 12th night gifts!
>Mere

I agree with Huette that it is unlikely from *Ancient* Greece. But i
can verify that Loukhoum - there are various spellings - is the name
of what is often called in English "Turkish delight".

The best i ever had was a round coil - that is the loukhoum was
rolled into a snake-like form, well dusted with powdered sugar, and
coiled. This was how the shop owner received it. One purchased
amounts cut off from it. It was made without gelatin and was a pale
green color that did not look artificial. It was also loaded with
pistachios and flavored with rose water.

The shop owner said that to make it they cooked grape juice and sugar
down very slowly to a gummy syrup. I don't know if this is actually
true, but i imagine that however it is made, it is composed of fruit
with a lot of pectin.

I don't care from the American versions made with gelatin. (i don't
like gum drops, or gummy bears). But the kind of loukhoum made from
cooked fruit is really good.

Anahita al-shazhiya