SC - Cornflour

Jane Williams jane at williams.nildram.co.uk
Wed Dec 22 14:04:29 PST 1999

>     I have a European cookbook (I live in America), and a recipe I'm
>interested in calls for corn flour.  Is that the same as the corn meal I
>have in my freezer?

Well, I don't know what your corn meal is like, but the cornflour I buy
(in Britain) is an extremely fine white flour, and usually used as a
thickening ingredient in sauces. The "DK pocket encyclopedia of
cook's ingredients" tells me that it's made from corn, and is also used
for baking cakes. It lists it under "baking goods" along with bicarb of
soda and so on, rather than under the flours.

I can't imagine anyone freezing cornflour, as it keeps almost
indefinitely.