SC - Woodturned items

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Dec 22 14:42:11 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/22/99 10:13:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
cnevin at caci.co.uk writes:

<< A while back someone was talking about the difference in medieval mortar
and
 pestles to modern ones, and I've found a site which sells a pole-lathe
 turned reproduction of a 1660 m&p >>

Visited the site. The mortar and pestle they describe is not much different
from those available now. They are, however, nothing like the ones displayed
at the Folger's Museum which clearly were composed of the bowl and a mortar
which fit perfectly in to the cavity of the bowl being only slightly less of
a diameter than the cavity itself. I'm talking mere millimeters if that much.

The interesting thing about the mortar  viewed on the site, as well as, other
types of mortars dating from SCA period and before that I have seen, is lack
of the choices in mortar styles we are able to buy in the modern world
compared to those available in ages past. :-(

Ras