SC - corn flour? - oop

Linda Taylor lmt_inpnw at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 23 11:44:34 PST 1999

>From: Magdalena <magdlena at earthlink.net>
>Subject: Re: SC - corn flour? - oop
>Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 08:31:40 -0600

>"For a smooth melting texture:
>
>100g plain soft flour
>50g cornflour
>100g butter
>50g icing sugar"
>
>From _A Year in a Scots Kitchen_ by Catherine Brown
>
>So this would be
>
>white flour
>cornstarch
>salted butter
>powdered sugar
>
>in American terms?
>
>-Magdalena

Yes, I believe so. In addition, I think the "plain soft flour" means a white
flour with a low gluten content, like our pastry flour, or maybe cake flour.
Actually, this is an extrapolation - I find "plain strong flour" defined as
high-gluten flour for breadmaking, with additional description of the
"strong" part to confirm that, and the "plain" flours seem to be white
flours, but I have not been able to find a straightforward statement that
says "plain" flours are always white. Perhaps someone else can clarify this?
In the meantime, I am assuming from Elizabeth David's description that our
all-purpose white flour (unbleached?), though slightly higher in gluten
content than British "ordinary plain household flour", would do just fine
for this recipe. (BTW, I like using half unbleached all-purpose flour and
half cake flour (Softasilk brand, and always bleached) for shortbread
cookies.)

Morwyn of Wye, O.L.
Barony of Three Mountains, An Tir
(Portland, OR, USA)