SC - Marx Rumpolt, was: Information access / Hungarian cuisine

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Wed Dec 29 16:14:34 PST 1999

As far as I know, the name of Marx Rumpolt is "Marx Rumpolt" :-}

The form "Marxen" was used as a dative and accusative case form (given
names were inflected at times).

"Marx" is a common given name around 1600, another wellknown Marx is
Marx Welser from Augsburg who wrote a chronicle of Augsburg and who
first edited the book of falconry of Frederick II. (Reliqua librorum
Friderici II. imperatoris ..., Augsburg 1596).

Other (German) people called our author "Marx Rumpolt" (and not Rumpolt
Marx), e.g. the people of the imperial chancery of Rudolf II. in the
privilegium against the reprint of Rumpolt's cookbook. Rumpolt himself
signed the preface: "Marx Rumpolt/ Churf. Meintzischer Mundtkoch".

Concerning Rumpolt's biography, there is a further, though minor detail
in his preface: his ancestors lived in the little Walachei:

"Denn weil ich ein geborner Vnger/ vnd aber der grausam Wütricht vnnd
Erbfeindt Christliches Namens/ der Türck/ nach dem er meine Voreltern
von Landt vnd Leuten vertrieben/ das vnsere/ so in klein Walachey
gelegen/ biß auff den heutigen Tag jnnen hat/ auch vns nach Leib vnd
Leben trachtet/ Als hab ich mich von Jugendt auff vnter frembden müssen
erhalten/ darauff geflissen vnd bedacht seyn/ wie ich heut oder morgen
meinen vnterhalt vnnd außkommen haben möchte. Hab derwegen von einem
Land in dz ander/ meiner notturfft/ vnd der Herren/ so ich gedienet/
Geschäffte halben/ verreisen müssen/ also/ daß ich einer Sprach nach
notturfft nicht hab obligen können".

Rumpolt says here that he is a native Hungarian, that his ancestors were
expelled by the turkish invasion from the little Walachei and that the
possession of his family was lost this way, therefore he had to look for
work and money in several different countries.

All this is meant as an _excuse_ for the fact that he could not learn
languages. Rumpolt says that he describes dishes "so viel ich mit
eygener Handt gemachet" ('that I prepared with my own hands').

It seems to me (please correct me if I am wrong) that a background for
Rumpolt's excuse might be different ways of producing a cookbook:
(a) compiling a cookbook from other sources (thereby using knowledge of
foreign languages);
(b) producing a cookbook by describing the dishes that one has prepared
oneself (using one's experience as an international chef).

Happy new year,
Thomas