SC - Christmas Pudding+troublesome monks

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Dec 1 08:31:51 PST 1999

cclark at vicon.net wrote:

> 'Lainie wrote:
> > ... And I have a alternate persona that I wear when I'm
> >teaching (or just generally raising trouble) who is a Dominican Canon
> >Lawyer c. 1300 or so, named Father Abelard the Lesser. ...
>
> And he teaches lessens, right? To lessees?
>
> Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon

Henry, Henry, Henry,...

Father Abelard teaches about Heresies (the better educated we are, the
better we are to withstand them, yes?) and teaches Canon Law, including
the Marriage Canons and has a small sideline practice in law. The
Marriage Law is especially fascinating. It was in fact only a week or
two ago that Abelard found himself discussing at some length the finer
points of consanguininty and affinity and the creation of and the nature
of the impediment of the latter with an entirely too-sharp and quick
thinking layman who is a member of this list...

(Father Abelard is named so because A) Peter Abelard is one of my
heroes, B)I needed a name that could be remembered, C) Abelard is
something less than a man, and I'm a woman, and a spayed one at that...
D) I thought it was a cool name for a Dominican...

I find the twists and turns of Canon Law utterly enthralling. My kids
think I'm weird, especially the oldest, who was listening to the
conversation with James about affinity- the quote? "Who'da thought
medieval sex was so complicated?" I'll argue Canon Law until the cows
come home. But there's no Obligatory Food Content, unless you count the
case with the angry landlady and her rolling pin...

Oog. Much to do today. Muat have tea...)

'Lainie