SC - Lab Rat Redux (cooking exper.)

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Dec 1 13:43:56 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/1/99 8:02:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:

<< Boil green beans (This probably refers to something like fava beans.  These
 are no string beans.  String beans are a New World food.) >>

Correct about the phaseolus green beans. But as I posted sometime ago, using
a picture of an illuminated manuscript I found in a book (source unknown now
but when found will be posted), I still am of the opinion that either Chinese
yard long beans or, possible young black-eyed peas were the actual 'green
beans ' referred to during period. The yard long beans look EXACTLY like the
illustration when a photo is placed side by side and in real life. Also the
dried beans of the yard long beans is a perfect miniature of what we know of
as 'kidney' beans. So there is a possibility that when 'kidney bean' is
mentioned in period manuscripts the yard long in a dried state is also meant.

I know that this is all circumstantial evidence but I would bet my money that
yard longs are the evasive period 'green' and 'kidney' beans.

Ras