Subject: Re: SC - Need help redacting candy recipe

Jennifer Rushman rushmaj at basf-corp.com
Mon Dec 6 10:02:52 PST 1999

Date: Sun,  5 Dec 1999 22:36:43 -0500 (EST)
From: Gretchen M Beck <grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu>

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 4-Dec-99 SC - Need help
redacting ca.. by "Robin Carroll-Mann"@idt
> Okay, I confess myself baffled.  I was trying to redact a recipe for
> melindres.  Tried twice, and each time was a failure.  So I'm appealing
> to the list.
>
> First, here's the recipe:
>
> Source: Diego Granado, _Libro del Arte de Cozina_, 1599
> translation: Brighid ni Chiarain (Robin Carroll-Mann)
>
> MEMORIA DE MELINDRES -- Memorandum of Sweet Cakes
>
> Take a pound of sugar, ground and sifted.  Take a white of fresh egg and
> beat it with a cane, and cast in in the sugar, and knead it very well, and
> if it should be soft, cast in more sugar, and take a dozen blanched
> almonds, blanched and pounded, add it all together, and after kneading
> them take this dough, and make some spirals as you wish, and cook
> them in an oven with a basin.

Are you sure the portions are translated properly?  If you read this
without the proportions, the first impression is "oh, this is marzipan
with enough egg white to let you bake it."

toodles, margaret

Clare Writes:
     Another option to be considered would be meringues.  That was my impression
when first reading the description of the recipe.  I don't know if meringues are
period or not but they are one of my favorites, esp around Christmas.
     Egg white beaten to soft peaks with sugar and almonds gradually added.
Bake until dried and lightly golden on the bottom.  I don't have a cookbook with
me at work but I remember 'Joy of Cooking' has it (as well as others...)
Later,
     CH
- ---
Lady Clare Hele, Barony of Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
Nemo est bellus nisi qui amavit