SC - Another Bunuelo Recipe

alysk at ix.netcom.com alysk at ix.netcom.com
Tue Dec 7 16:42:22 PST 1999

Greetings!  I just received a new (?) recipe source in Spanish.  I haven't had
any time really to check through but did notice a recipe for bunuelos for which I
have done a rough translation.  (Robin, want to modify anything??)  The book has
many "household" recipes and cosmetic recipes.  Here are the vitals...

Manual de mugeres en el qual se contienen muchas y diversas reçeutas muy buenas
(1475-1525)

Edited by Alicia Martinez Crespo, Educiones Universidad de Salamanca, 1995

Buñuelos:  A doce onças de massa, una libra de almendras blanquadas.  Las seis onças majadas y juntas con
la massa, y las otras hechas leche.  Quando majardes las almendras para hechar con la masa, majaréis con
ellas media libra de açucar:  y junto esto, juntad la massa con la leche en un lebrillo, e hazed la massa come se
suele hazer para esotros buñuelos.  Y hecha la massa, freiréis los buñuelos con buen azeite.  E fritos, enmelarlos
heis.  Ponedles después su açucar y canela por çima, y si quisiéredes poner piñones blanquados por çima será mejor.

To twelve ounces of dough, a pound of blanched almonds.  Six ounces ground and mixed with the dough and the
others made into milk.  When the almonds are ground for the dough, grind with them half a pound of sugar.  Join
it together, the dough with the milk in an earthenware tub, and make the dough like you would do for the other
buñuelos (fritters).  The dough being made, fry the fritters with good oil.  And being fried, smear them with
honey.  Afterwards put sugar and cinnamon on top, and if you wish, put blanched pine nuts on top to make them better.

Alys Katharine