SC - Viking Recipies

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Wed Dec 8 00:55:42 PST 1999

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Marie-Jose asked:
> > Does anyone have any Viking recipies, or any Viking recipie web sites that
> > they could share with me?
> >
> > I'm co-autocrating a fairly large event and would like to find as many
> > recipies as possible.
>
> I doubt you are going to find any true recipes, because I don't think
> any exist, but you may find some mentions of some various foods and some
> recreations using conjectures from what is known.

Don't forget archaelogoical evidence. I have seen (and eaten) a porrige
based on, IIRC, barley made with sheeps milk (though the one I ate was,
alas, made with cows milk). It was "redacted" from a find in a womans
grave on Gotland dated to the 900's. It's pretty much anybodys guess if
it was regular fare or specially made for burials, which could make your
feast somewhat macabre.  I'll look in my archives for the recipie,
remind me when it's obvious that I have forgotten.

There are also quite a lot of bread/porrige finds[1], most of which was
from various mixtures of grains and legumes. My personal guess is that
this was partly due to the agricultural practices in that day, I think
Anne Hagen mentions something similar for the anglo-saxon period/region.

/UlfR

[1] My sources tell me that you can (in this case) find three different
things -- porrige, unleavened and leavened bread -- and that in
particular the first two categories can be hard to tell apart after 1000
years in the ground. Not to mention the bread based on this mornings
leftover porrige...

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                   parlei at algonet.se
People are going to be out drinking, vomiting in the snow, and driving
drunk and killing their loved ones and strangers.
                -- Alan J. Rosenthal