SC - Help with old recipe (OOP)

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Thu Dec 9 15:03:44 PST 1999

Adamntius wrote:

> As for the egg whites
> going in last, it's possible, but I'm not sure what effect it'll have
> with the butter. Trapped air might not make it into the finished product.

Three words for you, Andmantius:  "Pound Cake"

If that was true, all pound cakes would be flat, dense, and chewey!
I think that the Egg yolk helps keep the whites together, or is it that
the flour binds to the fat? I am not sure, but these kinds of sponges
seem to hold the air in the egg whites just fine...

Oh, and isnt Chocolate mousse chock full of fat? That does not fall!
Souflles are another such item, IIRC

What seems important to me is to "temper" the whites by folding a little of
the batter into the whites before folding the whites into the batter.
That seems to helps avoid the whites falling.

brandu