SC - Re: .food riddle and query

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Dec 9 20:20:33 PST 1999

Devra at aol.com wrote:

> .
> First, the riddle--
>
> When I recently took a course on food and the history of cookbooks from
> Andrew Smtih (History of Ketchup, etc) he said that prehistoric man had
> located or domesticated all but two of the food items currently used.  One
> item he cited as added to the food group in historic times was coffee.  Our
> dates on that vary, but most seem to be after the start of the Common Era.
> However, he never told us the second food item that had entered man's
> knowledge after prehistoric times.  has anyone got any ideas?  [One of the
> students suggested twinkies, but we pointed out that all of the things in
> twinkies--except perhaps the preservatives, but those aren't food,
> really--were known.]

One _might_ make such an argument for pasta, at least the fine stuff as
found in China and post-renaissance Italy, but I'm not sure a prepared
food counts.

> Second question--one of my friends would like to locate a source of powdered
> malt, like the malt that the man at the corner candystore used to put into
> the milkshake to make it into a malted.  I haven't found any sources--King
> Arthur Flour sells diastolic malt, but that's not the same.  Do you think
> malt syrup would work?

Spray-dried malt extract can be found at brewing supply shops. Malt
syrup would work, but you'd probably have to adjust liquid quantities
when cooking a recipe calling for powdered malt.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com