SC - Re: .food riddle and query

Bernadette Crumb kerelsen at ptd.net
Fri Dec 10 11:06:39 PST 1999

cclark at vicon.net wrote:

> Bernadette Crumb wrote:
> >My lady, if you are willing to take a day or so and have the
> >space to do it, you can make your own powdered malt by sprouting
> >wheat berries until the sprouts are about the same length as the
> >berrie itself, spread them on a baking sheet and toast in a 250 F
> >oven until golden brown and crisp (about ten minutes IIRC).  Let
> >cool completely and pulverize in a food processor or grind in a
> >mortar and pestle.  Viola!  Malt powder...
>
> Wheat kernels have no juicy pulp. They are not berries. Don't believe what
> the marketers and advertisers call them; the advertising business is
> notorious for its inaccurate and deceptive misuse of words. Nor are wheat
> kernels a typical source of malt. Malt is usually made from barley.
>
> Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon

My lord,

I was using the term which I had been taught in the class.  I
know that it is possible to make malt powder at home from
sprouted barley as well, but I have never tried to sprout
barley.  Might be an experiment to try this winter.  What term
would you use to describe individual grains of wheat (so I can
make correct reference in the future)?

Bernadette