SC - quenelles?

Valoise varmstro at zipcon.net
Mon Dec 13 19:24:27 PST 1999

Anne Marie said:
> anyone who can think of an example in a medieval cookbook of minced meat
> mixed with dough to make fritters and boiled in water? I know its too much
> to ask for the sauce mournay...:)

Hmm, this got me to thinking. There are so many dumpling-like recipes
that there must surely be some. So, since I was sitting at home groggy
from cold medicine, I thought I might as well try and do something
useful. I plowed through a number if German cookbooks and came almost
empty handed. Part of the problem might have been that in my medicated
haze I forgot that you asked about meat dumplings and I concentrated
only on fish dumplings. But I did come up with one.

I didn't think this would be that hard to find. But after looking
through a large number of German sources I only found 1 fish
dumpling-type thing that wasn't fried. This one is simmered in broth.
It's from Philippine Welserin - the Welser book that isn't translated yet.

wil du fisch krepla machen

so nim hausen oder hecht last jn
syedenn hacks dar nach klain mim [nim] ain zwyfel
vnd greinen kreytter hacks klain nim pfeffer vnd
jmber vnd ain wenig wech halter ber riers
als durch ain ander geuß dan ein hays
schmaltz  dar an vnd nim zucker waser mach ain
dayglin gilbs schlag dise fyl dar ein machss
auch jn ainem kielen schmaltz oder
gubenn jn ainem bryelin vnd sieden gutten
guotten wein met zucker
vnd dem selben brielin an richten

So take sturgeon or pike and let it boil. Chop it small. Take an onion
and green herbs, chop small. Take pepper and genger and a few juniper
berries, sitr it together and pour melted fat into it. And take sugar,
water and make a dough. Color it yellow, beat it well therein. Or [you
can] also make it with cold fat. Gubenn (give it?) to some broth and
boil good wine with sugar and serve it with the same broth.

No eggs to bind it together and no flour or crumbs to make up the
dough, either. I'm not sure if that is an omission or scribal error.

But that is as close as I could come to quenelles in the German
sources.

Valoise