SC - Cranberries and Lingonberry Jamup (long)

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Tue Dec 14 04:36:39 PST 1999

> Americans have a very Disneyesque view of the 1620 Plymouth Colony
> beyond the twisting of history with John Smith and his child bride.

They were from the Jamestown colony.

>   On the other extreme, we also read fairy tales of the native Americans
> teaching the Pilgrims how to make cranberry
> sauce and boil and butter corn-on-the-cob. There are several engravings
> and illustrations of noble tatooed savages stirring an enourmous cauldrons
> of boiling corn.  Excuse me.  I thought that the native American Indians
> never progressed beyond the STONE age.   What museum has on display
> one of these miraculous caludrons?

They boiled in [among other things, but we dont need to get too specific]
pouches of hide, by dropping in hot rocks.
pits naturally occuring in rock, by dropping in hot rocks.
baskets, by dropping in hot rocks.
clay pots, [made by coating baskets with mud and firing them,] by dropping in
hot rocks.
and most interestingly of all, TRADEWARE pots and pans, placed on coals.

> Akim Yaroslavich
> "No glory comes without pain"

But the botanical info is great stuff...
margali