SC - Re: Egg Sizes

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Dec 14 20:44:37 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/14/99 4:17:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
alysk at ix.netcom.com writes:

<< Again, it
 looks more like a "large."

 Alys Katharine >>

Probably. They were perhaps goose eggs or duck eggs? Geese are allegorical so
goose eggs would be my guess. Oftentimes, we forget that in our
agriculturally deprived society chicken eggs are what is available to us for
cooking in general while until the very recent past goose, duck and chicken
eggs would have all been used more or less equally in frequency of use.

However, I am personally leery of using a 17th century painting to define egg
sizes in previous centuries as much as I would be leery of defining 17th
century egg sizes by viewing pictures of 20th century eggs.........

Ras