SC - Sweets to the sweet, have some fruitcake...

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Tue Dec 14 23:03:26 PST 1999

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir wrote:

> ÚlfR wrote:

> >But make sure you get the right species. Mistakes can be fatal.
>
> Not a problem here - there are only two species, Angelica archangelica and
> Angelica sylvestris, and both were used.

As someone else pointed out: hemlock (<fx type="sound" content="trying
to remember latin name and failing"</fx>).

> Certainly some uses were period - the sagas mention digging for angelica
> roots, and the oldest Icelandic law texts mention them too. Many farms had
> angelica gardens and it was the only plant used as a vegetable that was
> grown here throughout the Middle Ages.

Do you have any more precise cites?

> They are not much used these days but
> I have recipes for, amongst other things, pickled angelica, candied angelica
> and dried angelica leaves. And rhubarb and angelica jam.

Please? Pretty please with honey on top? In particular if they are
period...

> And if anyone has read Fóstbræðra saga (sorry, can´t remember the English

Argl. It was _way_ to long since I read that one.

> name), there´s a wonderful story of the two ribalds, Þorgeir Hávarsson and
> Þormóður Kolbrúnarskáld, who went to pick hvönn (angelica) in Látrabjarg, a

> life, with a sheer drop of hundreds of meters into the ocean below. But he
> was too much of a man to yell for help ... (sorry, I´m quoting from memory

The sagas authors was big on that kind of things. Though Grettirs
brothers comment of broad-bladed spears is probably my favourite.

/UlfR
 Who is right now wondering how many on this list still have 7-bit ASCII
only mail-readers, and how certain characters look to them. There's an
intentional missspelling in my first name in the .sig...

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                   parlei at algonet.se
"Life is like a beaver colony: one dam problem after another."