SC - Cinnamon

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Dec 16 12:49:11 PST 1999

> Does anyone know the difference between chinese cinnamon and plain cinnamon?
> A recipe i have calls for both..
>                 Zoe

Chinese or "true" cinnamon is richer and less harsh than Cassia, or plain
cinnamon.
Cassia is very bitter and acrid when compared to true cinnamon. True cinnamon
is
much better than cassia. When you compare the two side-by-side the difference
is remarkable.

I hope this helps.

Yers,

Gunthar

(Which reminds me. I need to make a spice order. I'm totally out of true
cinnamon
and cubebs, and long pepper. Some more Grains of Paradise couldn't hurt.
Cooking
season  is upon us!)