SC - Cinnamon

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Dec 16 09:31:31 PST 1999

At 10:26 AM -0700 12/16/99, Schumacher, Deborah (AZ15) wrote:
>Does anyone know the difference between chinese cinnamon and plain cinnamon?
>A recipe i have calls for both..

"Cinnamon" was and is used for the bark of several related trees. I'm
not sure we know which cinnamons the Andalusian cookbook means by the
two terms it uses. The usual cinnamon in America is actually Cassia.
There is, I think, a Cinnamonium Chinensis (Chinese cinnamon), and
(as I recall) what modern cooks refer to as "real" cinnamon is c.
Zeylonicum (Ceylon cinnamon).

There was a discussion on this some time back, and someone else may
be able to give you a more precise summary of the conclusions.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/