SC - Cinnamon varieties (long)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Dec 18 20:01:40 PST 1999

Francesco Sirene posted a good, long message on cinnamon:
> A question was asked about cinnamon . . .   just by chance this is the
> subject I'm researching (horribly academically, no doubt to the horror and
> distain of Lord Ras). So here's a boiled down summary. [Everything you
> wanted to know about cinnamon, and quite a bit more].
>
> There are a wide variety of types of cinnamon that have been used. In
> present international trade, there are three main varieties available. 1]
> Ceylon cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) 2] Indonesian cinnamon/cassia
> (Cinnamomum burmanii, usually) and 3] Chinese cassia (Cinnamomum cassia). If
> you live in the United States or Canada, what you will find in your stores
> as "Cinnamon" is the Indonesian variety; in most of the world the word
> "cinnamon" today is reserved for Ceylon cinnamon, and the other varieties
> are called "cassia" (and are sold separately). In China the indigenous
> variety is used, but is unlikely to be called cinnamon -- rather it is known
> under the Chinese name of "kwei".

<snip>

> Francesco Sirene
> David Dendy / ddendy at silk.net
> partner in Francesco Sirene, Spicer / sirene at silk.net
> Visit our Website at http://www.silk.net/sirene/

Thank you for this wonderful message, Francesco. There were a number of
things I was unaware of and a number of surprises. I plan to add this to
the Florilegium as a stand-alone article. If you ever want to polish this
up more, perhaps include those comments you left out or information you've
remembered since you wrote it, please contact me. I will gladly replace it
with a more updated version. And as a small bit of honey for your efforts,
about all I can offer, I plan to keep your comments and sig line about
your business intact.

While I normally would have sent this to Francesco by private email, I
decided to go ahead and post this here so I can remind folks that I am
always looking for additional articles for the Florilegium on most SCA
and period subjects, not just cooking. I have no objections to republishing
an article you've had printed elsewhere (provided you still have the
copyright). You keep the copyright with me and I will update or remove
an article in the future upon the author's request.

How about it, Ras? You obviously don't like my suppositions about Medieval
agriculture or pigs, write an article about what you have already found
out. You can improve and update it in the future. In the meantime,
perhaps you can show us ignorant folk just what Medieval agriculture
was all about.

Stefan

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net