SC - malt

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 19 07:35:18 PST 1999

The chewing, in all likelihood replaces the mashing process.  the
enzymes in the saliva convert the starches to fermentable sugars which
would then be fermented by airborne (?) yeasts.  It is a cool experiment
for kids: take an unsalted saltine cracker and chew it continuously
without swallowing. . . it eventually turns sweet.  That is the
enzymatic breakdown on complex carbohydrates into simpler sugars.

It is try ingenious what cultures have developed as techniques simply to
find ways to make alcoholic beverages.

niccolo difrancesco