OT? hotel events was SC - FW:[STEPS] Period Food at 12thNight 2000!

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Dec 20 00:16:53 PST 1999

Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> hey all from Anne-Marie
> Zoe asks:
> >I sure will do for you all. btw, is having events in hotels a common thing?
> >Or is this mainly an AnTir thing?

Also in the West, I understand.

> in An Tir, anyway, we used to have 12th night at some place, and
> traditionally with a feast. Problem was once the event started drawing a
> thousand or so bodies, finding a site that could seat that many for court,
> and meetings, much less a place to cook for that many.

This is, of course, the problem for many of our events- outdoor too.
Some of the bigger ones are maxing out and going to reservations-only-
for _outdoor_ events. Ahh... the perils of growth!

> about 6? years ago, I autocrated the first An Tir 12th night at a hotel.

I was at that event, with my then SO who's Chiv- I was STOOOOOPID and
was on both outgoing and incoming retinues, had made the step-up
clothes, and when the desk staff told us that they couldn't find our
reservation (which Paul had carefully confirmed several times including
the day before and he had the cornfirm #s) I had a full melt-down in the
lobby. I'd been on the road for 5 hours, (Paul for 8) and I freaked out
and stared shreiking and wheezing- Paul thought I'd lost it. Oddly, they
found us a room! FAST!

This was, by the way, the famed event at which I had athol brose for the
first time.

Paul and I ended up eating at I think the local Denny's/pancake house a
few blocks away, because the hotel restaurant was always full. He
doesn't eat real food anyway.

What I've discovered from subsequent events is that bringing a cooler
and a box of easily (i.e. no stove) prepared food keeps us out of the
restaurant. An electric teapot helps. Last year we had a cooler full of
yogurt, pasties (chicken and rice, I think), sliced meat, cheese, juice,
milk, etc., and a box with bread and rolls, instant oatmeal, fresh
fruit. (And some brownies, of course!) We ate well, and only went out
for one dinner (in full garb- it was fun!). The gang of teenaged girls
didn't go hungry, we didn't spend alot, and I was in better temper than
I would have been.

This year, I _could_ go home if I want. Prolly won't though- much.
Certain gentle cook of my acquaintance has a room...

So, Anne-Marie, what _are_ you bringing? I will have to hear reports...

'Lainie