SC - potatoes

Tue Dec 21 07:01:48 PST 1999

Gerard was describing Solanum tuberosum (the white potato) which he called
Batata virginian sive Virginianorum et Pappus.  Considering the naming
convention, Gerard was either aware of the Spanish literature on potatoes or
was relating it to Ipomoea batatas, the sweet potato, or both.

Jerusalem artichokes (Helianthus tuberosus) are a sunflower root as the name
girasol attests, being an archaic Italian word meaning sunflower.  I doubt
that Gerard and his fellow botanists confused the two tubers.

Not much was done with potatoes in the Colonies until the 18th Century, but
the Jerusalem artichoke was one of the chief survival foods for the
Jamestown colony.

Bear