SC - Food TV

Kay Loidolt mmkl at indy.net
Tue Dec 21 08:49:16 PST 1999

Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

> I have a burning desire to write to the Food Network and describe the
> kind of cooking and research that we do, and talk to them about the kind
> of show they would like to do on us.   I would think with an entire
> network devoted to food shows, they would love an opportunity to see this
> kind of cooking.  Especially in light of Puck's assessment of Sarah
> Moulton's version of Medieval Cooking (an episode I missed, but I usually
> like her), I think we could represent the art of historical food
> recreation pretty well.  On the show "Good Eats", they have a Nutritional
> Anthropologist (a job title I want)  and they regularly talk about the
> origins of food and food customs.  On "Calling All Cooks", they go to the
> homes of great cooks, and film them making their specialties.  On
> "Extreme Cuisine", they cover the weirder stuff, but they have shown a
> couple of historical houses that serve period (for that property)
> cuisine.  I would hope to make it on one of the other shows, and not
> point up the weirdness of this sort of food.  I have a vision of putting
> on a small Feast/Revel for them, to avoid making people uncomfortable
> having the cameras and all at a regular event.   Just think, usually,
> when the TV cameras come, they film the fighting and make up whatever
> they want about what we're doing.  At least this way we would be able to
> show off some of the other aspects of our interests, and to an audience
> who can appreciate it!
>         So, what do you all think?  Has anyone had any contact with them, or
> with other media in regards to this sort of idea?  I've had lots of
> experience with Human Interest news stories done on us, I have a 2 hour
> video of news clips on us.  We did throw an entire event for a local TV
> Magazine once.  It went pretty well, and with them spending an entire day
> with us, they did a fair job of interpreting what they reported.
>         If this discussion gets too mundane, Poppa will probably tell us to take
> it private.  But I am interested to know what the cooks on the list would
> show off for an audience like that.  I think a peacock subtlety in some
> form would almost be a must ;)  What would be the best techniques to show
> both the differences and the similarities of period vs. modern cooking?
>         Food for thought, (heh, heh, sorry, it is late) and an idea I have been
> tumbling around in my head for a while.  I have not written, nor will I
> for a while longer, I suppose, and I will also entertain "No, don't do
> it, such national attention is neither desirable or attainable" or
> whatever.  I would also not assume it would be me doing it, I would point
> out to them there are folks nation (and world) - wide who engage in this.
>         Christianna
>         who secretly longs for a medieval cooking show....

Johann von Metten( The chicken guy from the Midrealm!)

 I LOVE THE FOOD NETWORK!! This idea ROCKS!!!
Imagine what 'READY,SET,COOK!!!' could be like!!
I too cannot but dream about such a show, but I'll support anyone who
does do it!!
  I could help with the Heritage Breeds Conservancy talking about what
the animals of the past were(are) like.

Johann