SC - OT: Christmas Dinner... :)

Bernadette Crumb kerelsen at ptd.net
Sat Dec 25 16:08:33 PST 1999

We didn't do any "traditional" things for today's main meal
because tomorrow evening we will be going to the huge
multi-family feast that my husband's family puts on every Boxing
Day.

So, to make a still special meal that wouldn't have us overdoes
on Turkey or Ham, I made a huge pot of venison stew, using winter
vegetables and a cut up rump roast from the doe my husband got
this past doe season. :)

Approx. three pounds of venison, cut into 3/4 inch pieces,
browned in a bit of oil
Five carrots, scraped and cut into 1 inch pieces
Four white potatoes (because my husband said he'd boycott the
meal if I used turnips!) in 1 inch pieces
Four parsnips, scaped and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
One large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
One medium onion, sliced into 1/4 inch strips (not rings)
2 tsp salt
6 whole peppercorns
1/2 tsp nutmeg
5 whole cloves
6 whole allspice
10 springs of fresh flatleaf parsley

Put all ingredients into heavy stockpot, cover with water, bring
to full rolling boil, reduce to simmer.  Cook at simmer for four
hours, or until all hard vegetables are tender.  If you wish, you
can strain the meat and veggies out, reserving the broth.  Bring
broth to full boil and thicken with cornstarch/arrowroot/flour to
make a gravy.  Return meat and veggies to pot, serve it hot with
good bread. :)

Oh, I acquired a full half gallon of fresh, heavy cream from a
local farmer... any suggestions on what I should do with it?
Besides the syllabub I'm taking to the big family meal tomorrow?

Merry Christmas!
Bernadette

- --
Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.