SC - OT: Christmas Dinner... :)

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun Dec 26 07:57:43 PST 1999

- ---Original Message-----
From: Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg <rygbee at montana.com>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: Saturday, December 25, 1999 9:38 PM
Subject: Re: SC - OT: Christmas Dinner... :)

>> Oh, I acquired a full half gallon of fresh, heavy cream from a
>> local farmer... any suggestions on what I should do with it?
>> Besides the syllabub I'm taking to the big family meal tomorrow?

How about a posset, "Martha Washington's Book of Cookery" has a excellent
sack posset.  Essentially it is a cooked eggnog forerunner.  With
ingredients consisting of 14 egg yolks, 7 egg whites,  a pint of heavy
cream, 1/2 pound of sugar, a cup of sherry and a nutmeg it will harden your
arteries just sniffing it.

You dissolve the sugar in the sherry add the cream and heat the mixture to
below a boil.  After thoroughly mixing the eggs you slowly add them to the
pot stirring all the while.  Stir while cooking until the mixture is "pretty
thick", almost as thick as pan cake batter.  Remember to both keep the heat
on low and stir constantly.   Watch out for sticking on the bottom, as it
will scorch and burn if you are not careful.  After it is cooked pour it off
into an serving pitcher, I used a smallish ceramic one.  Be careful of
scraping the bottom of the pan as any burnt portions will be down there and
you will want to leave them  behind.   Serve blood warm with ground nutmeg
sprinkled on the top.

You might want to check the unredacted recipe in MW as I can't seen to find
my copy and have provided the above from memory.   The truth is this dish
should probably be prepared in a double boiler but as I don't have one I
have never done it that way.