SC - Sweets to the sweet, have some fruitcake...

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 27 20:09:47 PST 1999

> > Hmmm. I don't want to say it isn't, and that somebody plagiarized
> > somebody's work, but it seems quite possible that there's been some
> > writing on the five-fingered discount.
>
>It's also possible that material was re-used with permission.

And it's also possible, that if the durned fruitcake is such a big deal,
that the two families, as well as many other Irish families, indeed had
similar habits (the kids help) and similar impressions (it smelled great
when baking). The descriptions are sentimentally gushing enough that you'd
likely find quite the same in almost every cookbook describing holiday
traditions, as well as in newspaper columns, magazine articles etc. And you
could cross the water and find a couple hundred more in England, Wales and
Scotland, or for that matter France, Itally and Bosnia.  One could say that
such descriptions are themselves 'traditional'.

bonne