SC - Mistletoe (OT)

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at admin.is.cornell.edu
Tue Dec 28 06:08:41 PST 1999

Not being near any books, I can't confirm this, but as mistletoe is epiphytic (I
hope that's the word; I mean "floating" plants that don't need soil),
dung-on-a-twig might be a good name.  A bird eats some berries, which are
incompletely digested, perches on a twig in another tree, drops some dung, which
later sprouts and grows into a new mistletoe plant.  Many plants are spread this
way, but need to fall on soil to grow.  Of course I don't know whether that's an
accurate translation of the word misteltoe, but it seems an accurate description
of its growth.

Sandra Kisner (who's second e-mail address is a function of the remote access)
sjk3 at cornell.edu

>Revered in pagan cultures as a sexual symbol, >mistletoe got its name in
medieval days when >scientists believed it grew spontaneously from >bird
droppings.